The Hermitage

Built to house Penitentiary and Penitent Hermits, the hermitage was completed in 1875. The building had three floors: a ground floor and two upper floors. The ground floor consisted of two rooms; the first floor was made up of of six rooms, one of which was used as a kitchen; and the second floor housed the sleeping quarters. It was possible to access the cave and church directly from the hermitage through an internal connection.