The Ancient Chapel and Church

Recent restoration work has led to the discovery of the ruins of an ancient chapel, which was consecrated on 22nd May 1872. The chapel’s modest size meant that it could not accommodate a large congregation, so a larger church was built and consecrated in September 1875. Built of locally found stone, the floor was isolated from the ground with tar. The pillars that supported the vaults were plastered with painted stones to give a marble effect, and the remains of the trachyte altar and the floor are still visible.