The Church of Saint Rocco

The Church of Saint Rocco was built in 1529 in honour of the French pilgrim and miracle worker who lived in the 14th century. The façade is decorated with a portal with a classical tympanum and a circular eye in Renaissance style. In 1605, and then in 1751, the Augustinian friars whose medieval convent in the village of Santa Fiora was in a bad state of repair planned to move here. Invoked for help during the plague, many altars and chapels are dedicated to Saint Rocco throughout the Amiata area, the most important town fair still being held in his honour after the harvest on 16th August each year.