The ruins of San Processo

Just outside the town centre stand the ruins of an ancient Franciscan convent, of which only the remains of the mid-14th century bell tower remain. The convent owned large portions of the surrounding territory and hosted Saint Bernardino and Santa Caterina on their travels. Suppressed in 1784 in order to create the hospital of Castel del Piano, the convent’s statues, tabernacles, paintings, furniture, relics, furnishings and liturgical vestments were moved to the Church of San Leonardo in Arcidosso, Montelaterone, and the churches of Castel del Piano, including the bell that ended up on the bell tower of the Church of the Blessed Sacrament. Legend has it that an underground tunnel connected San Processo to the Pieve di Lamulas in Arcidosso.