The monumental wash houses built in trachytic stone date back to 1601, as documented in Giovanni Antonio Pecci’s 1764 manuscript "The ancient and modern state of Siena". Located near the Pianese and Castiglionese gates, the sources of the wells were characterized by copious jets of water that once were the main attraction. Built in trachyte in the early 17th century, the Fontevecchia was well-sculpted and embellished with a huge Medici coat of arms, grooves, and masks spouting water. The wells in Via San Giovanni were built for public hygiene reasons in the late-19th century. In 2020, they were restored and equipped with new lighting by the municipal administration.