The walls surrounding Castel del Piano date back to 1332, the year of the town’s submission to Siena. The defensive circuit ran around the entire historic centre and incorporate Amiata (or Castiglionese) Gate and Pianese Gate, which is currently surmounted by a clock tower. In the 17th century, Spennazian Gate was also opened in order to connect the old town with the new town below the walls. The three gates are still intact, while most of the walls have been incorporated into subsequent constructions, such as the Aldobrandesco Fortress and the remains of the walls with shoe-shaped bases, which can be seen from the houses in Vicolo del Volpaio. Continuing towards Via delle Mura, the last parts of the walls with the remains of the castle tower are visible.